Monday, June 22, 2015

Aquafaba Basil and Sherry Mayonnaise



After this week's success with the black bean aquafaba macarons, I decided to try my hand at mayonnaise. I've made egg mayonnaise plenty of times with my immersion blender, using one egg for a batch. I find that this is the perfect amount for my mayo needs, and this usually goes hand in hand with the asparagus and tomato seasons.

It worked! Other than substituting 1/4 C of reduced aquafaba for one whole egg, the recipe is the same as the non-vegan version.

A note about aquafaba: to use it as an egg substitute, the aquafaba should be reduced to the consistency of egg whites. When I first started experimenting with the stuff, I'd refrigerate it after reducing. If the aquafaba gelled in the refrigerator, it has been reduced too much and you'll end up with really dense macarons or mayo. No worries, though, because you can always think it out with a little bit of water.

Aquafaba Basil and Sherry Mayonnaise

1/4 C        reduced aquafaba (I used black bean water aquafaba)
1 tsp         sherry vinegar
1 tsp         mustard
1/2 tsp      salt
3/4 - 1 C  peanut oil (any neutral oil will do)
1/4 C        loosely packed fresh basil leaves

Special equipment: immersion blender or blender

Blend together at low speed the aquafaba, sherry vinegar, mustard, and salt. After a few seconds, start slowly adding the oil until the mixture emulsifies. This usually takes me about 3/4 cup of oil, but sometimes it takes a little more. When you get the desired consistency, add the basil leaves and blend until incorporated. Taste for salt and vinegar and adjust if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...